Wow, that’s quite a long blogging break… I did do some sewing in the second half of 2019, I promise! To be honest, it was mostly some more Simple Sew Shannon Collection dresses. It was partly to do with the Simple Sew blogging, and partly to do with OWOP.
One Week One Pattern (OWOP) seems to have been a little later than usual in 2019. In the past, I’ve been able to use a transitional style of wardrobe to get through it, but when Sheona announced it was going to be 23-29 November, I realised it would be well chilly, and I would need a full-on Winter-wearable pattern. The things I had the most of (that I haven’t used before for OWOP) were the Simple Sew Shannon Collection dresses & tops. But it’s a sleeveless/cap-sleeved dress/top pattern, so they were all quite summery. The tops I had could be layered, so that was a start. But I decided that if I was going to use this pattern, then I would need to work out how to add a sleeve, so as to use it for the cooler weather.
I was scheduled to do a “#SewthisisChristmas” make for the Simple Sew Blog for mid-November, so I decided that I would test out my sleeve hack idea with that. If it worked, then I could make myself a couple of tops and maybe even another dress, and I’d be able to get through the week, with only one or two repeats.
As it turned out, the pattern lent itself very well to an extension to the short/cap sleeve, and I was thrilled with my (Not Just For) Christmas Shannon. I got this fabulous rose print ponte at a fabric swap last year, and couldn’t believe my luck – it was just so me! I’m really happy that I’ve been able to get this lovely dress made with it.
This meant I started OWOP week with two short-sleeved tops that would work as layers, plus this one new dress (which wasn’t going to be an easy one to repeat-wear, as it’s quite “noticeable”!) plus plans to make more using my newly hacked sleeve pattern. I was very late to the game, but I did manage to make those two tops and one dress, which meant I only had one repeat wear during the week. For the full line-up of my OWOP outfits, go to my Simple Sew Blog Post on my Week of Winter Shannons.
The first top I made was made from a cute cactus print jersey I got in France a year and a half ago. It’s got some kind of elastane/lycra content, because it’s got good stretch and recovery. I’m not sure why I went for the cactus print, because I’m not normally a novelty prints kind of a gal, but it works well for this top, and I’m happy with how it came out.
The second top was from a plain white cotton jersey, which has no elastane at all, and doesn’t really have a lot of stretch. I decided that it was just TOO plain, and it needed something extra to make it more me. So I cannibalised an old lilac t-shirt that I haven’t worn in years, that had the same sort of weight and drape as my white jersey, and I used that for the neckband and sleeve bands. I was pushed for time (I was sewing it on the morning of day 7, before going to work wearing it!), so I didn’t do anything more than necessary to it. But I had a fair bit of the lilac left over, so I’ve decided it can be used for some appliqué embellishment, once I’ve decided what I think I can do with it.
The dress was my favourite of the OWOP makes. I didn’t have particular expectations but it came out just perfect. I’d kept the structure simple, and it was straighter than my previous Shannon dresses, because my fabric was narrower. I just love it!
I even got another dress cut out and started, though I didn’t finish it in time for OWOP. It’s still waiting to be finished off (really need to buckle down to that, it’s just hemming, for heaven’s sake!).
I’m still not finished with my Winter Shannons. Now that I’ve got my sleeve hack sorted out, I can see another couple of dresses happening in the near future!